Ryan Gosling and Eva Mendes never split up, despite a bogus report we corrected one year ago today. Exactly 12 months ago, a tabloid announced the couple had broken up on its cover but as Gossip Cop said then, and it remains fact to this day, the story was 100 percent untrue. In fact, the under-the-radar couple is still very happy together.
On March 8, 2017, we called out Star for falsely announcing in a headline, “Eva & Ryan Split!” The gossip magazine alleged the stars had a “blowout fight” before last year’s Oscars over Emma Stone, Gosling’s La La Land co-star and frequent collaborator, and Mendes refused to attend the ceremony with him. As the often unreliable publication claimed then, “Consumed with jealousy over Ryan Gosling’s closeness with Emma Stone, Eva Mendes is ready to pull the plug on their five-year romance.”
A so-called “insider” was quoted as supposedly telling the outlet about the purported pre-Oscars argument, “Ryan said that if she wasn’t going to support him on the biggest night of his career, then would she ever?” “Eva snapped back that he shouldn’t be worried, because Emma would be there for him,” added the alleged source. Following that, maintained the tabloid’s questionable tipster, “Ryan stormed out of the house… Eva may not even want him back. She’s ready to call it quits on their relationship.”
But as Gossip Cop pointed out 365 days ago, Gosling and Mendes never intended on turning the 2017 Academy Awards into a date night, and his attendance without her should never have been interpreted as a sign of trouble in their relationship. The couple hasn’t been spotted on a red carpet together since promoting their 2012 film, The Place Beyond The Pines, because they shun the spotlight as a couple. It’s actually well-known that Gosling and Mendes are very private and make a habit of not showcasing their relationship.
More importantly, though, they never had a “blowout fight” over Stone, and Gosling and Mendes never split up. Gossip Cop was assured by an impeccable source, who was not at liberty to comment on the record, that the cover story was “false” when we first looked into it in March 2017. Now, a full year has passed and Star has never acknowledged its story was completely wrong, even though the publication should have issued correction. Regardless, Gosling and Mendes quietly go about their lives with the two daughters, while the tabloids keep churning out inaccurate narratives about the couple.
Gossip Cop has determined this story is totally false.