Meghan Markle's engagement to Prince Harry was announced Monday and to celebrate, Gossip Cop is looking back at five wrong rumors that we debunked about the actress.
Last month, Gossip Cop busted Celebrity Insider for claiming in an absurd article that Kate Middleton and Camilla Parker Bowles were "coming between" Markle and Prince Harry. In that ridiculous story, the website alleged the Duchess of Cambridge and Duchess of Cornwall had "teamed up" to "wreck" the redheaded royal's relationship with his actress girlfriend, but a source close to the situation told us the report was "nonsense. Of course, our reporting has now been publicly verified by Middleton and Prince William's statement about Prince Harry's engagement, which noted they're "very excited for Harry and Meghan."
In September, Gossip Cop corrected the Australian magazine New Idea when it wrongly maintained Markle and Prince Harry were already quietly married. In that bogus report, the unreliable tabloid falsely asserted the couple tied the knot earlier this year in a "secret royal ceremony" near Queen Elizabeth's private residence in Balmoral, Scotland. Of course, the publication's article was entirely untrue since Prince Harry didn't even propose to Markle until earlier this month.
What's more, we called also out OK! in August for its then-untrue cover story that falsely announced Prince Harry and Markle were engaged after he supposedly proposed to his girlfriend while they vacationed in Africa. The magazine claimed Prince Harry got down on one knee and asked the "Suits" actress to "to be his princess" while on an African safari to celebrate her 36th birthday. But the engagement tale was nothing more than a fabrication. At the time, a palace insider assured Gossip Cop the report was not true.
Additionally, last December RadarOnline concocted a fake news story that wrongly contended Prince Harry refused to meet Markle's family. The report went on to allege that the royal kept "dodging" the subject of meeting Markle's closest relatives. Glaringly, the often discredited website never offered an explanation as to why Prince Harry was supposedly against an introduction. That's because the story was all made-up. In a statement issued on Monday by Clarence House, it confirmed Prince Harry "sought and received the blessing of Ms. Markle's parents."
And finally, Gossip Cop debunked Celeb Dirty Laundry last November after the often unreliable outlet bizarrely reported Middleton was "desperate" for Markle's Hollywood connections. In one of the most ridiculous stories we've debunked about the royal family, the blog claimed the Duchess of Cambridge wanted to befriend Prince Harry's then-girlfriend to become a Hollywood celebrity. Not surprisingly, the entire story was seemingly pulled out of thin air. An impeccable royal insider told us then the article was 100 percent not true.
Once again, Gossip Cop congratulates Prince Harry and Meghan Markle on the news of their engagement. We wish them a happy and rumor-free life together.
Gossip Cop has determined this story is totally false.