Katie Holmes Headed For 'Catfight' With Boyfriend's Ex? News Katie Holmes Headed For 'Catfight' With Boyfriend's Ex?
Latest On Elton John Health Scares And Money Problems Celebrities Latest On Elton John Health Scares And Money Problems
Ellen DeGeneres Fears Her Show May Be 'Over' According To New Report News Ellen DeGeneres Fears Her Show May Be 'Over' According To New Report
Debunking This Week's Tabloids: September 25, 2020 Entertainment Debunking This Week's Tabloids: September 25, 2020

Does Donald Glover really think a Star Wars spinoff focused on Lando Calrissian is "beneath him"? A new report claims the star is a "diva" who is refusing to sign on to a new movie as his fame increases. Gossip Cop, however, can bust the story.

Star contends Glover used to be a "humble actor," but "now that his music career has hit hyperdrive, his ego is out of this world." A so-called "source" alleges "producers are begging him to sign on" for his own Star Wars prequel, "but Donald think it's beneath him." Glover already played Calrissian in Solo, but because it "didn't do very well at the box office," the supposed snitch claims he believes he "can do better than playing Lando in another flop film."

There's a number of misconceptions and inaccuracies here. While it's true that Glover's "This Is America" music video recently made big waves in the music industry and beyond, he had a significant amount of fame and success well before that May release. As Childish Gambino, he scored his first Grammy nominations back in 2015. Last year, Glover made history at the Emmys as the first black director to ever win for directing a comedy series, and also took home the award for lead actor in a comedy. The tabloid is wrongly making it seem like he's suddenly too big for Star Wars when he's already been a big star for years.

And contrary to the contention that producers are "begging him to sign on" to a solo film, it was already known last month that a Lando-focused Star Wars movie isn't in the works. LucasFilm has stated on the record that it's a possibility for the future, not something actually on the imminent horizon. Even still, though, the actor has no objections to starring in such a feature, despite what the magazine is alleging.

Only weeks ago, Glover said he would, in fact, be open to do a Lando Calrissian movie. "It would always be fun to be Lando again. I would love to do it again," he told Entertainment Weekly. He even said he'd be willing to write the script and gave a pitch for what the film could be, suggesting, "It would be cool to see, like, Frasier in Space — like, a high-end guy in space."

Conclusion: Star claims Glover's career is becoming too successful for him to continue with Star Wars, one of the biggest franchises of all time, when he's already had success for years. The outlet alleges producers are trying to sign him for a spinoff, but Lucasfilm has made clear no such project even exists at this point. And while it's asserted that Glover believes another Star Wars movie is "beneath him," he's never expressed that. He's on record stating his willingness not just to star in such a film, but also pen the screenplay. Every one of the publication's allegations is provably untrue.

Our Verdict

Gossip Cop has determined this story is totally false.

Related

Truth About Mariah Carey And Nick Cannon Getting Back Together To Have A Baby