Zac Efron on Rumors: “I Just Can’t See What’s So Wrong About Being Gay”
1:06 pm, September 10th, 2012
Zac Efron is beloved by many in the gay community — and that’s perfectly all right with him.
“It’s very flattering,” the actor tells The Advocate in his first-ever gay-press interview.
He adds, “After High School Musical and Hairspray, I’ve always felt embraced by the gay community, and I feel incredibly grateful and honored.”
Efron tells the magazine he’d be willing to play a gay character on the big screen, though he’s not specifically seeking out such a role at this time.
“I’d never take a role just for the sake of playing gay, but I’m always looking for a role that’s challenging, different, and entails some risk, so there’s no doubt in my mind that one of those characters will be gay at some point in the future,” he explains.
“It’s always interesting to delve into unexplored territory, and that would be a new avenue for me. I definitely wouldn’t be afraid,” Efron adds.
The Paperboy star has been dogged for years by rumors about his own sexuality, a notion that he shrugs off.
He tells The Advocate, “I don’t like to live in fear about things like rumors and backlash to begin with — that’s the way I was raised — but I just can’t see what’s so wrong about being gay.”
In fact, Efron is a big supporter of gay marriage, noting,”It’s an issue that affects so many people in my life — a lot of my close friends and some of the most influential people around me.”
“I just want them all to be happy,” he says. “It would make me so happy to see them able to live their lives and do what they want to do.”
What do you think of Efron’s Advocate interview?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Which Celebs Are Barely Recognizable Without Makeup?
- Lindsay Lohan: Rehab is Pointless?
- Celebrities With Super Attractive Siblings
- Kim Kardashian's Swollen Feet Scream For Help
- 25 Old Famous Celebrity Couples We Forgot Existed
- Is Justin Bieber Dating Kylie Jenner?
- 24 Celebrities You Didn't Know Were Related
- Could This Be Kim K.'s Biggest Fashion Fail Yet?
- Amanda Bynes' Scary and Strange Twitter Photos
- Human Barbie Discusses Her Unique Look