Fake “Will Ferrell” Twitter Account Exploits Trayvon Martin Tragedy
3:22 pm, March 26th, 2012
A fake Will Ferrell Twitter account duped news outlets into believing the star had entered the discussion about slain Florida teenager Trayvon Martin, supposedly promising charitable donations and demanding capital punishment for Martin’s killer.
Over the weekend, @RealFerrellWill – which does NOT belong to the actual Ferrell, who does NOT tweet – told followers, “R.I.P. Trayvon Martin. For every R-T this tweet gets, $1 will be donated to the #TrayvonMartinFoundation, which helps counteract racism.”
The fake “Ferrell” tweeted multiple times about the matter, at one point stating, “I truly believe that [shooter George Zimmerman] should have the death penalty.”
But while many celebs have actually commented on the situation, these fake quotes don’t belong to the real actor.
Once again: Ferrell does NOT tweet.
Even though the account was labeled a “parody,” CNN and other outlets attributed the tweets to Ferrell, including the phony promise to donate to the non-existent “Trayvon Martin Foundation.”
The account has since been suspended.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- 15 Sexy Celebrity Hairstyles To Try
- Melissa Joan Hart Disses and Dishes on Famous Dudes She's Kissed
- Who Does Naya Rivera Want To Collaborate With?
- Bond Girls In Bikini's Always Sucker Us In
- Jessica Simpson's Lips are Bigger and Waist is Smaller
- Scarlett Johansson's 10 Sexiest Looks
- Brad Pitt: Sexy But Smelly?
- Snag Julianne Hough's Totally Dreamy French Braided Halo
- Another Star Of 'The Hills' Gets Engaged!
- Who Said Cameron Diaz Sounded "Too Rihanna?"