Twilight Parody Producers Suing Summit for $500 Million Over Spoof Twiharder
12:37 pm, May 31st, 2013
The makers of Twilight are being sued by a company claiming its parody movie of the vampire series was wrongly shut down by “anticompetitive conduct.”
In the lawsuit, Behind the Lines Productions says it made a feature-length film entitled Twiharder that “portrayed hyper-exaggerated caricatures from The Twilight Saga movies and lampooned expressive elements embodied in [the official movies] through imitative reference.”
According to the spoof producers, Lionsgate Entertainment and subsidiary Summit Entertainment heard about Twiharder, which allegedly had attracted the attention of distributors, and sent a “sham ‘cease-and-desist’” notice that effectively ended the movie’s chances of making it to the big screen.
Within days of disclosing the cease-and-desist, says Behind the Lines in its suit, distributors and insurers “unceremoniously revoked their offers to deal” with the company.
The Twiharder camp contends that Lionsgate and Summit have become a “dominant market force in the movie industry during the last five years,” and are essentially guilty of monopoly and “predatory conduct” in protecting their franchise.
The plaintiffs want $500 million.
Would you have wanted to see Twiharder?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- 10 Best Celebrity Quotes About Being Pregnant
- Celebs Confess How They Honestly Felt Being Pregnant
- Super Geeky Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hotties
- Does Ian Somerhalder Have a New Girlfriend?
- A-List Stars Who Failed at Marriage