Tom Hanks Calls 2004 “Blackface” Video In Which He Appears “Hideously Offensive”
7:14 pm, March 20th, 2012VIDEO
The two stars were participating in a fundraising event for St. Matthew’s Parish School in Pacific Palisades, California, where children of both Hanks and Frey attended.
It’s not entirely clear from the clip why a third man, identified as banker James Montgomery, had dressed in “African” garb and blackface, but both Hanks and Frey are seen joking about the offensive get-up.
On Tuesday, Hanks issued a statement in response to the video, which surfaced hours earlier on The Daily Caller.
“In 2004, I was blindsided when one of the parents got up on the stage in a costume that was hideously offensive then and is hideously offensive now,” Hanks said.
He continued, “What is usually a night of food and drink for a good cause was, regrettably, marred by an appalling few moments.”
Gossip Cop reached out to Montgomery for comment and explanation.
Check out the shocking video below.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Perrie Edwards' Many Hair Colors
- Kim Kardashian's Mommy Time With North West
- All-Time Hottest Celebs with Facial Hair
- Is Adam Levine The Sexiest Man Alive?
- Was Brittany Murphy Poisoned?
- Scarlett Johansson's 10 Sexiest Looks
- The Most Mysterious Celebrity Deaths
- 10 Artists Who Stole Ideas & Never Gave Credit
- Tom Cruise Says He Never 'Abandoned' Suri
- Can Shaq Fix the Sacramento Kings?