Tom Hanks Calls 2004 “Blackface” Video In Which He Appears “Hideously Offensive”
7:14 pm, March 20th, 2012VIDEO
The two stars were participating in a fundraising event for St. Matthew’s Parish School in Pacific Palisades, California, where children of both Hanks and Frey attended.
It’s not entirely clear from the clip why a third man, identified as banker James Montgomery, had dressed in “African” garb and blackface, but both Hanks and Frey are seen joking about the offensive get-up.
On Tuesday, Hanks issued a statement in response to the video, which surfaced hours earlier on The Daily Caller.
“In 2004, I was blindsided when one of the parents got up on the stage in a costume that was hideously offensive then and is hideously offensive now,” Hanks said.
He continued, “What is usually a night of food and drink for a good cause was, regrettably, marred by an appalling few moments.”
Gossip Cop reached out to Montgomery for comment and explanation.
Check out the shocking video below.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Did Kim Kardashian Wax Her Babies Eyebrows?
- Celebrity Breakups: Who Called it Quits in 2013?
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Kate Bosworth's New Red Hair - Makeover or Makeunder?
- Demi Lovato Rocks The Skrillex Look
- 10 Famous Couples Who Should Never Split Up
- 9 Celebs Who Married Average Joes
- Celebrities Remember Their First Kiss