Tobey Maguire Denies Playing in Illegal Poker Games
5:38 pm, June 30th, 2011
Tobey Maguire has just filed legal papers, claiming he did NOT play in illegal high-stakes poker games.
As you’ll recall, last week the Spider-Man star was named in a lawsuit against a hedge fund manager named Bradley Ruderman, who’s currently in prison for defrauding investors out of more than $50 million in a Ponzi scheme.
Basically, creditors of Ruderman’s now bankrupt company sought to have Maguire pony up the more than $300,000 he took in winnings from the hedge funder in what were termed “illegal” poker games.
But in Maguire’s court filing today, he says the games were not “illegal.” The games were just pals playing poker — and there was NO “house” taking a cut.
Gossip Cop also hears that though Ruderman’s creditors claim Maguire made more than $300,000 off the hedge funder, in actuality the actor wrote checks in losses to him to the tune of around $168,000.
And, an important point to be made, we’re told Maguire denies he tried, in any way, to defraud anyone — and he always paid taxes on his winnings.
Maguire further asked that the suit against him be dismissed.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- The Most Educated Rappers In The Game
- Memory Lane: Kim Kardashian Through The Years
- 15 Sexy Celebrity Hairstyles To Try
- 10 Rapper's Crazy Cribs
- Drake Pulls Out All The Stops For Rihanna
- Does Will Smith Think Jada's Style Is Whack?
- Britney Spears' Weird Response To Questions About Boyfriend
- Sandra Bullock Already Has Son Potty Trained
- North West, Is That You? Khloe Kardashian Posts A Picture
- Bond Girls In Bikini's Always Sucker Us In