Tobey Maguire Denies Playing in Illegal Poker Games
5:38 pm, June 30th, 2011
Tobey Maguire has just filed legal papers, claiming he did NOT play in illegal high-stakes poker games.
As you’ll recall, last week the Spider-Man star was named in a lawsuit against a hedge fund manager named Bradley Ruderman, who’s currently in prison for defrauding investors out of more than $50 million in a Ponzi scheme.
Basically, creditors of Ruderman’s now bankrupt company sought to have Maguire pony up the more than $300,000 he took in winnings from the hedge funder in what were termed “illegal” poker games.
But in Maguire’s court filing today, he says the games were not “illegal.” The games were just pals playing poker — and there was NO “house” taking a cut.
Gossip Cop also hears that though Ruderman’s creditors claim Maguire made more than $300,000 off the hedge funder, in actuality the actor wrote checks in losses to him to the tune of around $168,000.
And, an important point to be made, we’re told Maguire denies he tried, in any way, to defraud anyone — and he always paid taxes on his winnings.
Maguire further asked that the suit against him be dismissed.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Which Celebs Are Barely Recognizable Without Makeup?
- You Won't Believe What Topanga Looks Like Now
- Could This Be Kim K.'s Biggest Fashion Fail Yet?
- Black Celebrities Who Have Turned White
- 11 Celebrities Who Are Aging Backwards
- Kim Kardashian's Swollen Feet Scream For Help
- Can You Believe Kim Kardashian Was This Thin?
- Amanda Bynes' Scary and Strange Twitter Photos
- The Drew Carey Show: What Ever Happened to Mimi?
- The Worst Celebrity Tattoos Ever