Catholic League Slams The Three Stooges for Portrayal of Nuns
6:08 pm, April 13th, 2012
The Three Stooges is already embroiled in controversy.
Catholic League president Bill Donohue has issued a statement criticizing the slapstick comedy (opening this weekend), in part for its portrayal of nuns.
The movie’s plot involves the clumsy trio trying to raise money for their orphanage — and includes Sports Illustrated swimsuit model Kate Upton in a “nun-kini” outfit that leaves little to the imagination.
Meanwhile, Larry David appears in drag as Sister Mary-Mengele, her name an apparent reference to infamous Nazi doctor Joseph Mengele.
Donohue claims The Three Stooges represents modern Hollywood’s “crudity and trashes Christianity, especially Catholicism.”
According to the Catholic League, the film is “not just another remake,” but a “cultural marker of sociological significance, and what it says about the way we’ve changed is not encouraging.”
In a response from FOX, the studio behind The Three Stooges, a spokesperson denied that the movie was an attack.
“The nuns that Mr. Donohue alludes to are, in fact, caring, heroic characters in the movie, albeit within the framework of a very broad comedy,” reads the statement. “And as far as the nun attire, I think we did the audience a favor by letting Kate Upton wear the nun-kini rather than Larry David — it could have gone either way.”
What do you think?
Are Upton’s costume and David’s drag performance disrespectful?
Or is all fair in a comedy of this type?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- The Drew Carey Show: What Ever Happened to Mimi?
- Can You Believe Kim Kardashian Was This Thin?
- Could This Be Kim K.'s Biggest Fashion Fail Yet?
- Celebrities With Their Moms
- Chris Pine: Single and Ready to Mingle?
- Demi Lovato's Funky And Fun Floral Bodysuit
- 25 Old Famous Celebrity Couples We Forgot Existed
- Is Kris Jenner Finally Ready to Leave Bruce?
- Bare Faced Celebrities Without Makeup
- Stars Who Blame Bad Pictures on Photoshop