Sony Lawyer: The Interview WILL Be Released (VIDEO)

Truth rating: 10
The Interview Release

By Shari Weiss


The Interview Release


A lawyer for Sony says The Interview WILL be released, despite the film getting pulled from cinemas just weeks before it was slated to open in theaters on Christmas. Check out the video below.

As Gossip Cop has reported, a group called “Guardians of Peace” carried out a devastating cyberattack on Sony Entertainment as retribution for The Interview, which stars James Franco and Seth Rogen as two journalists who are tasked with assassinating Kim Jong-un. After the hackers threatened to attack theaters showing the film, a handful of theater chains canceled screenings and refused to show the movie. Sony subsequently pulled from the film from its scheduled December 25 release date, causing outrage throughout Hollywood.

When Sony announced last week that the movie’s release was canceled, a studio spokesperson also disputed reports that a digital release was in the works, saying, “Sony Pictures has no further release plans for the film.” But, as Gossip Cop reported, George Clooney has since given an interview saying embattled Sony executive Amy Pascal told him that she still wanted the movie released. Now Sony attorney David Boies, appearing on “Meet the Press” on Sunday, confirms the company has not given up.

“Sony only delayed this. Sony has been fighting to get this picture distributed,” he said. It will be distributed. How it’s going to be distributed, I don’t think anybody knows quite yet. But it’s going to be distributed.” Boies went on, “And what Sony has been trying to do is to get the picture out to the public. But, at the same time, be sure that the rights of its employees and the rights of the movie-going public are protected.”

Boies comments come on the same day the New York Post claimed the film will be available for viewing through the Sony-owned platform Crackle, though that has NOT been confirmed. Boies also criticized President Obama for saying Sony made a “mistake” in not releasing the movie, likening it to blaming the victim, and complained that he didn’t try working with the company sooner to come up with another solution. But the lawyer said he hopes that Obama’s confirmation that North Korea was involved in the hacking will be used as a “rallying cry so that all Americans can unite against what is really a threat to our national security.” “If state-sponsored criminal acts like this can be directed against Sony, it can be directed against anybody,” said Boies.

Obama also appeared on a CNN morning news show Sunday, where he said the hacking was “cybervandalism,” and not an “act of war.” As Gossip Cop noted, he expressed concern that pulling the movie would set a precedent for censorship, putting freedom of expression in jeopardy. North Korea, meanwhile, has not taken responsibility for the cyberattack, and has slammed the United States government for the accusation, and gone as far as vowing the “toughest counteraction will be boldly taken against the White House, the Pentagon and the whole U.S. mainland.”

For its part, the Guardians of Peace commended Sony for pulling the film, then demanded it never be released in any format and that all copies be destroyed, and also reportedly mocked the FBI investigation. Watch the video with Boies below, and tell us what you think.

Enter your email address here to receive daily news updates from us.


  1. Gossip Cop
  2. Mediaite
  3. RunwayRiot
  4. The Mary Sue