The Hobbit Tops Box Office, Breaks December Records
9:35 am, December 16th, 2012BOX OFFICE
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey won the weekend box office easily, and also became the biggest December debut in history.
The first installment of Peter Jackson’s new fantasy trilogy earned $84.8 million in its opening weekend, which breaks the $77 million December debuts for I Am Legend and Avatar in previous years.
Rise of the Guardians came in a very distant second with $7.4 million, while Lincoln finished in third with $7.2 million.
Fourth and fifth places went to Skyfall and Life of Pi, which had ticket sales of $7 million and $5.4 million, respectively.
Rounding out the Top 10 were The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2 ($5.2 million), Wreck-It Ralph ($3.3 million), Playing for Keeps ($3.2 million), Red Dawn ($2.4 million) and Silver Linings Playbook ($2.1 million).
What did you see this weekend?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- Celebs Confess How They Honestly Felt Being Pregnant
- Highlights of Joe and Teresa Giudice's Plea Deals Revealed
- Kim Kardashian: Airline Passenger Screamed Racist Obscenities at Me
- Why Reality TV Might Cost Kanye His Best Man Jay Z
- What 'Teen Mom' Star Just Bought a House?