The Hobbit Tops Box Office, Breaks December Records
9:35 am, December 16th, 2012BOX OFFICE
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey won the weekend box office easily, and also became the biggest December debut in history.
The first installment of Peter Jackson’s new fantasy trilogy earned $84.8 million in its opening weekend, which breaks the $77 million December debuts for I Am Legend and Avatar in previous years.
Rise of the Guardians came in a very distant second with $7.4 million, while Lincoln finished in third with $7.2 million.
Fourth and fifth places went to Skyfall and Life of Pi, which had ticket sales of $7 million and $5.4 million, respectively.
Rounding out the Top 10 were The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2 ($5.2 million), Wreck-It Ralph ($3.3 million), Playing for Keeps ($3.2 million), Red Dawn ($2.4 million) and Silver Linings Playbook ($2.1 million).
What did you see this weekend?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Does Will Smith Think Jada's Style Is Whack?
- Perrie Edwards' Many Hair Colors
- Exes Kate Moss & Johnny Depp Are Reuniting
- Memory Lane: Kim Kardashian Through The Years
- 10 Celebrity Moms Who Practice Attachment Parenting
- Kendall Jenner Gets A Completely New Look
- Usher's Girlfriend Is An Alicia Keys Lookalike!
- What Rapper Is Father To These Sweet Siblings?
- Is Miley's Outfit Too Much?
- Tom Cruise Says He Never 'Abandoned' Suri