Steve Martin Apologizes for Racist Joke on Twitter
1:01 pm, December 21st, 2013
Steve Martin has apologized for making a racist joke on Twitter.
On Friday, the actor and comedian was engaging in a back-and-forth with followers about grammar, using their questions to make wisecracks.
When one person asked Martin, “Is this how you spell lasonia?” the star replied, “It depends. Are you in an African-American neighborhood or at an Italian restaurant?”
Martin quickly realized his joke might be interpreted as offensive and deleted it.
“In retrospect, bad joke,” he tweeted to a follower who brought up his remark, later adding, “Sorry about that.”
When a different fan expressed disappointment in him, Martin wrote, “I did apologize. But again, a second later I realized what an offensive thing I’d done. Deep bow.”
What do you think about Martin’s joke and apology?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Beyonce Turns a Blind Eye: Is Her Little Brother Homeless?
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- 10 Best Celebrity Quotes About Being Pregnant
- Celebs Confess How They Honestly Felt Being Pregnant
- Super Geeky Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hotties
- Does Ian Somerhalder Have a New Girlfriend?