Shaun White Drops Out Of Olympic Event
9:45 am, February 5th, 2014
Shaun White has announced he’s dropped out of an Olympic event, just days before the Sochi games begin.
On Wednesday, the snowboarding star bowed out of the slopestyle event, citing the strong “risk of an injury.”
“After much deliberation with my team, I have made the decision to focus solely on trying to bring home the third straight gold medal in halfpipe for Team USA,” White said in a statement.
He added, “The difficult decision to forego slopestyle is not one I take lightly, as I know how much effort everyone has put into holding the slopestyle event for the first time in Olympic history, a history I had planned on being a part of.”
White came to the decision after hurting his left wrist on Tuesday during a practice run on the Rosa Khutor Extreme Park course, which a day earlier dashed the Olympic hopes of Norwegian medal contender Torstein Horgmo, who broke his collarbone there.
“With the practice runs I have taken, even after course modifications and watching fellow athletes get hurt, the potential risk of injury is a bit too much for me to gamble my other Olympics goals on,” said White.
The “Flying Tomato,” as he’s known, will be competing again in the halfpipe, and is looking to be the first American ever to win three Olympic gold medals in a single event.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- Celebs Confess How They Honestly Felt Being Pregnant
- Highlights of Joe and Teresa Giudice's Plea Deals Revealed
- Kim Kardashian: Airline Passenger Screamed Racist Obscenities at Me
- Why Reality TV Might Cost Kanye His Best Man Jay Z
- What 'Teen Mom' Star Just Bought a House?