Selena Gomez Forced to Cancel Shows After Russia Bans Her Over Gay Rights
6:26 pm, September 19th, 2013
Selena Gomez has been forced to cancel her concerts in Russia after the country denied her request for a visa, reportedly as part of a larger effort to tighten restrictions on artists who support gay rights.
The pop star had been scheduled to perform in St. Petersburg on September 23 and in Moscow on September 25.
According to The Moscow Times, authorities in Russia have decided to make entry more difficult for foreign performers following Madonna and Lady Gaga’s open advocacy for LGBT equality in the wake of that country’s controversial law banning the promotion of “nontraditional sexual relationships.”
Advocates have warned that the regime would take measures to keep celebrities perceived as pro-gay out of the country, and it appears that Gomez’s visa application has been rejected for that reason.
Organizers must now scrap her shows.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- Celebs Confess How They Honestly Felt Being Pregnant
- 10 Insanely Famous People Who are Secret Introverts
- 12 Shocking Celebrity Family Ties You Won't Believe
- 20 Hot Celebrities Who Look Busted Without Makeup
- Richard Gere Sets His Sights On A Much Younger Starlet