Selena Gomez Forced to Cancel Shows After Russia Bans Her Over Gay Rights
6:26 pm, September 19th, 2013
Selena Gomez has been forced to cancel her concerts in Russia after the country denied her request for a visa, reportedly as part of a larger effort to tighten restrictions on artists who support gay rights.
The pop star had been scheduled to perform in St. Petersburg on September 23 and in Moscow on September 25.
According to The Moscow Times, authorities in Russia have decided to make entry more difficult for foreign performers following Madonna and Lady Gaga’s open advocacy for LGBT equality in the wake of that country’s controversial law banning the promotion of “nontraditional sexual relationships.”
Advocates have warned that the regime would take measures to keep celebrities perceived as pro-gay out of the country, and it appears that Gomez’s visa application has been rejected for that reason.
Organizers must now scrap her shows.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Leighton Meester Is Engaged To Adam Brody
- Owen Wilson Gets His Personal Trainer Pregnant
- All-Time Hottest Celebs with Facial Hair
- Kim Kardashian Shares New Photo of North West
- Gwyneth Paltrow Wants Kids To Have Perfect Accents
- How You Can Keep One Direction Together
- What Happened to Miley Cyrus' Eyebrows?
- Drake Pulls Out All The Stops For Rihanna
- 6 Magazine Cover Hairstyles You Can Easily Recreate
- 10 Celebrity Moms Who Practice Attachment Parenting