Sean Penn “Suspicious” Of Wyclef Jean Presidency Bid
1:06 pm, August 6th, 2010
Penn, an activist who has spent most of his time in Haiti since the January earthquake, alleges that the former Fugees member “as an ambassador at large, has been virtually silent” since the quake.
“For those of us in Haiti, he has been a non-presence,” Penn griped, adding that he thinks Jean is “an important voice,” but hopes “he doesn’t sacrifice that voice by taking the eye off the very devastating realities on the ground.”
The actor says the nation where Jean was born “is clearly vulnerable.”
He also pointed out that Yelé Haiti, a charitable organization founded by Jean in 2004, has been accused of financial misconduct.
“He claims he didn’t do it. That has to be looked into it,” said Penn. “I’ve been [in Haiti]. I know what $400,000 could do for these people’s lives.”
In response to Penn’s claims, Jean told the Associated Press, “I just want Sean Penn to fully understand I am a Haitian, born in Haiti and I’ve been coming to my country ever since [I was] a child. He might just want to pick up the phone and meet, so he fully understands the man.”
Elections to replace current Haiti president Rene Preval will be held on November 28.
What do you think of Jean’s bid and Penn’s concerns?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter for accurate celebrity news!
Check us out on Facebook!
Visit GossipCop.com for the latest!
You might like:
- Top 10 Picks to Play Christian Grey
- The Most Educated Rappers In The Game
- Pamela Anderson Debuts Super Short Haircut
- Exes Kate Moss & Johnny Depp Are Reuniting
- All-Time Hottest Celebs with Facial Hair
- 30 Child Actors Who Died Young
- 35 Of Hollywood's Hottest Moms
- Is Miley's Outfit Too Much?
- Miley Cyrus Is Apparently Barack Obama's Fault Now
- Can Shaq Fix the Sacramento Kings?