Sean Penn Mourns Death Of Hugo Chavez: “I Lost A Friend I Was Blessed To Have”
9:57 am, March 6th, 2013
Sean Penn is mourning the death of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, who passed away at age 58 on Tuesday after a long battle with cancer.
The actor, who for years has been vocal about his support of Chavez, said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter, “Today the people of the United States lost a friend it never knew it had. And poor people around the world lost a champion.”
“I lost a friend I was blessed to have. My thoughts are with the family of President Chavez and the people of Venezuela,” Penn added.
Stone, whose 2009 documentary South of the Border celebrated Chavez’s rule, tweeted, “I mourn a great hero to the majority of his people and those who struggle throughout the world for a place. Hated by the entrenched classes, Hugo Chavez will live forever in history. My friend, rest finally in a peace long earned.”
Moore, who remembered meeting Chavez at the Venice Film Festival in 2009, wrote, “We spoke for over an hour. He said he was happy 2 finally meet someone Bush hated more than him.”
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- The Brattiest Celebrity Kids
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actress Adopts Her 'Direwolf'
- What The Frock?: Horrible Celeb Fashion Fails
- 8 Aww-Inspiring Baby Photos Of Celeb Kids
- Does Will Smith Think Jada's Style Is Whack?
- Did Beyonce & Jay-Z Chemically Process Blue Ivy's Hair?
- The Most Educated Rappers In The Game
- NBA Star Ray Allen Is One Lucky Man
- Courtney Stodden's Risque Cleavage-Bearing Mini-Dress
- Michael Phelps' New Girlfriend Spills Juicy Details About Their Relationship