Modern Family Star Sarah Hyland Reveals She Had Kidney Transplant
9:31 am, May 14th, 2012
Sarah Hyland has revealed for the first time that she suffers from a serious kidney disease.
The “Modern Family” star has had a lifelong battle with kidney dysplasia, and opened up about her illness and recent kidney transplant in the June/July issue of Seventeen.
Hyland, who got the kidney from her father and sat down with the magazine while she was recovering from surgery, says she learned a lot from her health struggle.
She tells the mag, “You know that family is always going to be there for you – no matter what. My dad gave me a freakin’ kidney!”
Hyland notes, “But it’s also the families that you create outside of your family. And you really find out what kind of people you’re friends with,” adding, “It was just amazing, and it really opened my eyes to see who’s there for me and who’s not.”
The actress says her boyfriend Matt Prokop, has been by her side through it all.
She reveals, “He helps me with my medication and takes me to doctor appointments and all the stuff that I need to do to take care of myself. Any other 21-year-old guy would not be there, I guarantee it. I am one of the luckiest people in the world to have him be there for me.”
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Which Celebs Are Barely Recognizable Without Makeup?
- You Won't Believe What Topanga Looks Like Now
- Kendall Jenner Admits Being A Kardashian Ruined Her Childhood
- You Won't Believe Nicky Minaj's Natural Hair
- Can You Believe Kim Kardashian Was This Thin?
- The Real Reason Kim Won't Marry Kanye
- Remember Lisa Turtle? Wait Til You See Her Now!
- Olivia Palermo's Best Fashion Moments
- Miley Severed Justin & Selena's Relationship
- 50 Pics Of Hollywood's Most Adorable Couples