Russell Brand Appears Before Parliament, Promotes “Compassion” for Drug Addicts
11:33 am, April 24th, 2012VIDEO
Russell Brand appeared before members of British Parliament on Tuesday to discuss drug addiction and to recommend polices that emphasize treatment over strict criminalization.
The actor-comedian, who’s been open in the past about his battles with substance abuse, stressed a program of “love and compassion” for addicts, arguing that health-focused education and treatment would do more to lower crime and aid society than draconian judicial enforcement.
Brand contended that the law doesn’t necessarily matter to drug addicts, but that getting to the root of their dependency would solve long-term problems.
He’s something of an expert on the matter, having beaten a heroin habit that contributed to 12 arrests over the years.
Check out the video below!
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Highlights of Joe and Teresa Giudice's Plea Deals Revealed
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Set a Wedding Date!
- What Colleges Did These Celeb Smarty Pants Go To?
- Are Justin Bieber's Tattoos Fake?
- The 10 Biggest Celebrity Foreclosures
- Emilia Clarke Reveals One Thing More Terrifying Than Nudity
- Michelle Rodriguez Shows Support for Her Girlfriend Cara Delevingne
- The Dirty Details Ludacris Thinks Will Damage His Reputation
- Bow Wow Gets Caught Fronting About Owning a Drop Top Ferrari
- Katie Holmes' First TV Gig Since Dawson's Creek