Russell Brand: “I’d Rather Be A Drug Addict” Than Rich and Famous
1:34 pm, August 6th, 2012
Russell Brand makes a startling admission in a new documentary about his troubles with substance abuse.
In the upcoming BBC special, “Russell Brand: From Addiction to Recovery,” the British comedian watches old footage of himself smoking heroin when he confesses he’s “jealous” of who he was then.
“This is when you know it’s a disease. It doesn’t matter that I sat in that flat in Hackney and now I’m in the [upscale hotel] Savoy. I’m jealous of me then,” says Brand.
“It doesn’t make a difference to me. The money, the fame, the power, the sex, the women — none of it. I’d rather be a drug addict,” he continues.
Brand, who has been sober for more than a decade, has made no secret of his drug-addled past, even testifying before Parliament in April about his experiences.
In the documentary, he calls heroin a “greedy drug,” going on to explain how “it’ll take everything” from a person.
“First it’ll take your money,” he describes. “Then it’ll take your friends, your family, your car, your house.”
“Then it’s going to take bits of your body,” he says, adding, “In the end I used to be scoring with people that had eyes missing, limbs missing.”
‘You’ll take it until it takes your life. It’ll take everything until the last thing and you’ll gladly give it that rather than give up the drugs,” he admits.
“Russell Brand: From Addiction to Recovery” will air on BBC Three on August 16.
What do you think of Brand’s confessions?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Kim Kardashian Shares New Photo of North West
- 6 Magazine Cover Hairstyles You Can Easily Recreate
- Exes Kate Moss & Johnny Depp Are Reuniting
- Jessica Simpson's Lips are Bigger and Waist is Smaller
- DMX Has Baby Number 12 On The Way!
- 10 Celebrity Moms Who Practice Attachment Parenting
- A Look Back At Paul Walker's Legacy
- Can Shaq Fix the Sacramento Kings?
- Brad Pitt: Sexy But Smelly?
- How You Can Keep One Direction Together