Russell Brand: “I’d Rather Be A Drug Addict” Than Rich and Famous
1:34 pm, August 6th, 2012
Russell Brand makes a startling admission in a new documentary about his troubles with substance abuse.
In the upcoming BBC special, “Russell Brand: From Addiction to Recovery,” the British comedian watches old footage of himself smoking heroin when he confesses he’s “jealous” of who he was then.
“This is when you know it’s a disease. It doesn’t matter that I sat in that flat in Hackney and now I’m in the [upscale hotel] Savoy. I’m jealous of me then,” says Brand.
“It doesn’t make a difference to me. The money, the fame, the power, the sex, the women — none of it. I’d rather be a drug addict,” he continues.
Brand, who has been sober for more than a decade, has made no secret of his drug-addled past, even testifying before Parliament in April about his experiences.
In the documentary, he calls heroin a “greedy drug,” going on to explain how “it’ll take everything” from a person.
“First it’ll take your money,” he describes. “Then it’ll take your friends, your family, your car, your house.”
“Then it’s going to take bits of your body,” he says, adding, “In the end I used to be scoring with people that had eyes missing, limbs missing.”
‘You’ll take it until it takes your life. It’ll take everything until the last thing and you’ll gladly give it that rather than give up the drugs,” he admits.
“Russell Brand: From Addiction to Recovery” will air on BBC Three on August 16.
What do you think of Brand’s confessions?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Kendall Jenner Admits Being A Kardashian Ruined Her Childhood
- You Won't Believe Nicky Minaj's Natural Hair
- Remember Lisa Turtle? Wait Til You See Her Now!
- Model's Too-Tiny Bikini Causes Wardrobe Malfunction
- Bodysuit Babe: Perrie Edwards
- The Real Reason Kim Won't Marry Kanye
- McKellen Marrying Stewart
- You Won't Believe What Topanga Looks Like Now
- Teen Choice Awards Nominees Announced
- Fred Armisen Gives Heartfelt Farewell To SNL