Robin Roberts Feeling “Energized” After Undergoing Bone Marrow Transplant
10:32 am, September 21st, 2012VIDEO
Robin Roberts underwent a bone marrow transplant on Thursday, and her ABC News colleagues were by her side.
The procedure, part of the “Good Morning America” anchor’s ongoing treatment for MDS, took took just five minutes.
It was preceded by 10 days of rigorous chemotherapy treatments.
During the transplant, Roberts received millions of stem cells that had been harvested from her sister, Sally-Ann.
“It was an emotional, scary and yet exhilarating moment, one that I’ll never forget,” Champion said on “GMA” Friday morning.
He added, “I don’t think I will ever forget the power and love that was in that room.”
“I think the Hebrew translation of ‘blessings’ is ‘more life’ and we left with more life because of her,” said Sawyer.
After the procedure, the group sang “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” a favorite song of the journalist, who said she would “now wait and anxiously watch and see what happens.”
“In the next seven to 10 days my counts will continue to go up and we’ll be on to phase three, which will be get out of here,” Roberts told her family and loved ones.
The next 100 days, particularly the first 30, will be critical to Roberts’ recovery, and she won’t be able to leave the hospital until at least a month passes.
Said her doctor, Dr. Gail Roboz, “In the days that follow – until the 100 day benchmark – we’re seeing problems getting solved.”
Roboz added that she received an email from Roberts on Friday morning, in which she sounded “energized” — and wrote, “‘I want to go home’ with an exclamation point.”
Gossip Cop wishes Roberts a speedy recovery.
Check out the video below of a brave Roberts in the hospital.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Which Celebs Are Barely Recognizable Without Makeup?
- 25 Old Famous Celebrity Couples We Forgot Existed
- Is Justin Bieber Dating Kylie Jenner?
- Mommy Makeover: Teen Mom Catelynn's Slim Down
- Remember Lisa Turtle? Wait Til You See Her Now!
- Human Barbie Discusses Her Unique Look
- 9 Biggest Stunts Kim and Kanye Have Pulled
- The Real Reason Kim Won't Marry Kanye
- 24 Celebrities You Didn't Know Were Related
- Could This Be Kim K.'s Biggest Fashion Fail Yet?