Robin Gibb Wakes From Coma; “Able to Speak to Loved Ones,” Says Doctor
9:01 am, April 22nd, 2012UPDATE
Robin Gibb has woken from his coma.
The Bee Gees singer regained consciousness and has shown small signs of recovery following a week spent near death at a hospital in London.
Dr. Andrew Thillainayagam said, ”Robin is fully conscious, lucid and able to speak to his loved ones,” including his wife, Dwina, and brother/fellow Bee Gee Barry, who have been at his bedside throughout the entire ordeal.
Gibb’s doctor revealed the singer has advanced colorectal cancer, and contracted pneumonia because of his weakened state from chemotherapy and two operations.
The Bee Gee, who is still in intensive care and is “exhausted, extremely weak and malnourished,” said Dr. Thillainayagam, is breathing through an oxygen mask and being fed intravenously.
“It is testament to Robin’s extraordinary courage, iron will and deep reserves of physical strength that he has overcome quite incredible odds to get where he is now,” said Thillainayagam in a statement.
Gibb contracted pneumonia and fell into a comatose state while battling colon cancer.
Last year, he was rushed to the hospital with stomach pains, and in 2010 he had intestinal surgery.
Maurice Gibb, Robin’s twin brother, died in 2003 of complications from a twisted intestine.
Gossip Cop will have updates.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Proof That Rihanna & Drake Are Officially Together
- 9 Reasons Solange's Son Is Hollywood's Coolest Kid
- Brad Pitt: Sexy But Smelly?
- Reese Witherspoon's Flirty Red Carpet Waves
- Owen Wilson Gets His Personal Trainer Pregnant
- Who Said Cameron Diaz Sounded "Too Rihanna?"
- John Mayer & Katy Perry's Romantic Photoshoot
- The Most Educated Rappers In The Game
- Lady Gaga Debuts Flying Dress
- Julianne Hough Is Looking Very Different These Days