Robin Gibb Wakes From Coma; “Able to Speak to Loved Ones,” Says Doctor
9:01 am, April 22nd, 2012UPDATE
Robin Gibb has woken from his coma.
The Bee Gees singer regained consciousness and has shown small signs of recovery following a week spent near death at a hospital in London.
Dr. Andrew Thillainayagam said, ”Robin is fully conscious, lucid and able to speak to his loved ones,” including his wife, Dwina, and brother/fellow Bee Gee Barry, who have been at his bedside throughout the entire ordeal.
Gibb’s doctor revealed the singer has advanced colorectal cancer, and contracted pneumonia because of his weakened state from chemotherapy and two operations.
The Bee Gee, who is still in intensive care and is “exhausted, extremely weak and malnourished,” said Dr. Thillainayagam, is breathing through an oxygen mask and being fed intravenously.
“It is testament to Robin’s extraordinary courage, iron will and deep reserves of physical strength that he has overcome quite incredible odds to get where he is now,” said Thillainayagam in a statement.
Gibb contracted pneumonia and fell into a comatose state while battling colon cancer.
Last year, he was rushed to the hospital with stomach pains, and in 2010 he had intestinal surgery.
Maurice Gibb, Robin’s twin brother, died in 2003 of complications from a twisted intestine.
Gossip Cop will have updates.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- Celebs Confess How They Honestly Felt Being Pregnant
- 10 Insanely Famous People Who are Secret Introverts
- 12 Shocking Celebrity Family Ties You Won't Believe
- 20 Hot Celebrities Who Look Busted Without Makeup
- Richard Gere Sets His Sights On A Much Younger Starlet