Rita Ora: Ex-Boyfriend Calvin Harris Nixed My Teen Choice Awards Performance

Truth rating: 10
Rita Ora Calvin Harris Teen Choice Awards

By Michael Lewittes


Rita Ora Calvin Harris Teen Choice Awards

(Ryan Seacrest Presents)

Rita Ora confirms her ex-boyfriend Calvin Harris is to blame for the last-minute cancellation of her scheduled Teen Choice Awards performance.


The British pop star was slated to perform her hit “I Will Never Let You Down,” but took to Twitter on Saturday to sadly announce she would no longer be singing at the ceremony.

During an “On Air With Ryan Seacrest” interview on Tuesday, Ora reveals that the performance had indeed been nixed by Harris, who tweeted in June that they had split.

She explains, “For anybody who doesn’t understand how it works, he wrote and produced the song, so he has to approve anything TV-wise,” adding, “He owns the rights to it and he didn’t approve the Teen Choice Awards.”

The singer, who had been rehearsing for a month prior, admits she wasn’t surprised her ex didn’t approve the performance, but Ora wishes she was given more notice.

“I could have got told a few weeks earlier, you know. That would have been nice,” she says. “It was a last-minute change, but you know what, it happens and we move on and move forward… It is what it is, man. You know, you write a song with somebody, and I guess there’s some stuff that comes with it.”

Still, Ora is annoyed, because she says her performance was going to be “awesome.”

“We put so much work and money into the show. I put my own money into the performance, like I always do, and I guess it’s just one of those things. Everything happens for a reason. That’s how I look at it.”

What do you think about why Ora’s performance was cancelled?

Check out the video below, and tell us what you think!

Enter your email address here to receive daily news updates from us.


  1. Gossip Cop
  2. Mediaite
  3. RunwayRiot
  4. The Mary Sue