Rihanna Suing Topshop For $5 Million
12:01 pm, May 17th, 2013
Rihanna is reportedly suing Topshop for $5 million because the British clothing company is selling T-shirts with her face on them — without her consent.
But there’s a hitch.
In the U.K., companies can buy the photos they use for images on clothing, for example, and don’t have to pay the featured celebrity a fee for licensing their image. They simply need to compensate the photographer for his or her picture.
And while Rihanna knows that, reports the New York Post, she still filed a lawsuit in London, mostly because a source tells the paper Topshop allegedly told her, “Go to hell. We don’t care; we are going to continue selling you.”
The paper’s source says Rihanna is suing on “principle” because she “wants to make a statement” about Topshop “taking advantage of artists.”
“It is just exploitation,” adds the Post’s source.
Gossip Cop has reached out to reps for Rihanna and Topshop, but has yet to hear back.
What do you think of the lawsuit?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Did Kim Kardashian Wax Her Babies Eyebrows?
- Celebrity Breakups: Who Called it Quits in 2013?
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Highlights of Joe and Teresa Giudice's Plea Deals Revealed
- Troublemaking Brandi Glanville Complains About Housewife Fans Hating Her
- Why Reality TV Might Cost Kanye His Best Man Jay Z
- Which Celebrity Gives Back The Most?
- Cameron Diaz Gets Honest About Her Bad Skin