Rihanna Picture with Protected Primate Leads to Arrest of Men in Phuket, Thailand
2:49 pm, September 22nd, 2013PHOTO
Rihanna posed with a primate on the island of Phuket in Thailand — and two people have now been arrested because of it.
On Friday, the singer posted an Instagram photo (see right and below) in she’s seen cuddling up to a slow loris — a local animal that’s listed as a protected species.
“Look who was talkin dirty to me! #Thailand #nightlife,” wrote Rihanna.
Unfortunately, it’s illegal to possess a slow loris, and after Phuket authorities were alerted to Rihanna’s picture, they found and arrested the two individuals who had used the animal for photo opportunities with tourists.
According to the Associated Press, police confiscated two lorises from the two male suspects, who now face charges of possession of protected animals.
A conviction carries a fine and possible prison time.
Weera Kerdsirimongkon, a Phuket district chief, says that authorities have tried to crack down on vendors who exploit wildlife, and that Rihanna’s Instagram post proved especially useful.
“It’s like a cat-and-mouse game. But this time it’s bigger because a celebrity like Rihanna posted the picture, and there were more than 200,000 ‘likes’ from around the world,” he said.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actress Adopts Her 'Direwolf'
- Memory Lane: Kim Kardashian Through The Years
- Gwyneth Paltrow Wants Kids To Have Perfect Accents
- Nelson Mandela Passes Away At Age 95
- Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, Katy Perry Read Mean Tweets: Watch!
- Melissa Joan Hart Disses and Dishes on Famous Dudes She's Kissed
- Jada Pinkett's M.O.: Rescue Willow From Hollywood!
- Was Brittany Murphy Poisoned?
- The Most Mysterious Celebrity Deaths
- Miley Cyrus' Best & Worst Moments