Quincy Jones Threatens To Sit Out Oscars Over Lack Of Black Nominees
Quincy Jones could be the next celebrity to sit out this year’s Academy Awards over the exclusion of black nominees in the acting categories. The music icon was asked to present an award alongside Common and Pharrell Williams, but said on Wednesday he’ll only do it if he can talk at the ceremony about the lack of diversity in this year’s nominations.
Jones, the first African-American to be included on the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’s board of governors, vows to speak next week with the organization’s other members. “When I’m back [in L.A.], I’m going to ask [them] to let me speak for five minutes on the lack of diversity. If not, I’m not going to [present],” said Jones at the National Association of Television Program Executives conference in Miami. He further noted, “There are two ways to do it. You can boycott or you can fix it. It’s frightening to see 90 percent white and 80 percent white male. It’s ridiculous. It’s wrong.”
If Jones refuses to attend this year’s ceremony, he’ll join a growing list of celebrities making self-imposed bans of this year’s Academy Awards. As Gossip Cop previously reported, Spike Lee announced in an Instagram post last Monday that he won’t be attending, while Jada Pinkett Smith confirmed in a Facebook video that she won’t even watch the Oscars this year. A number of other stars, including George Clooney, Lupita Nyong’o and Gillian Anderson, have voiced the disappointment over no black actors being nominated for Academy Awards.