Princess Diana In Previously Unseen Mystery Photo is Set For Sale
1:12 pm, January 4th, 2013
A previously unpublished photograph of a teenage Princess Diana is going on the auction block and drawing intense speculation more than 30 years after it was taken.
SEE THE FULL PHOTO BELOW
The picture, believed to be from 1979 or 1980, shows a pre-marriage Diana Spencer lounging with a man and a bottle of whiskey while on a ski vacation.
“NOT TO BE PUBLISHED” is scrawled across the 8×10-inch, black-and-white shot, snapped by an unknown photographer.
According to Diana’s biographer Andrew Morton, the mystery man is “Adam Russell, the great-grandson of former prime minister Stanley Baldwin, and now a deer farmer in Dorset.”
Morton told the Guardian that Diana and Russell were both “injured during the skiing holiday… They kept each other company while the others went skiing and, at the end of the holiday, Adam was somewhat smitten. But absolutely nothing happened.”
The photo remained hidden for decades in the archives of the Daily Mirror, which reportedly purchased the snapshot in February 1981, just after Diana’s engagement to Prince Charles was announced.
But the private Caren Archive is now putting the rare photo up for sale through RR Auction in New Hampshire, giving the public its first glimpse at a “new” picture of one of the world’s most photographed women.
Reports initially indicated that the image was originally buried to avoid any appearance of scandal as Diana and Charles prepared to wed.
The threshold for what’s considered royal salaciousness has certainly changed in the intervening years.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Does Will Smith Think Jada's Style Is Whack?
- Renee Zellweger Looks Hardly Recognizable
- NBA Star Ray Allen Is One Lucky Man
- Kendall Jenner Gets A Completely New Look
- The Brattiest Celebrity Kids
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actress Adopts Her 'Direwolf'
- Courtney Stodden's Risque Cleavage-Bearing Mini-Dress
- The Most Educated Rappers In The Game
- 8 Aww-Inspiring Baby Photos Of Celeb Kids
- What The Frock?: Horrible Celeb Fashion Fails