Prince Philip Undergoes Heart Surgery
7:11 pm, December 23rd, 2011
Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, underwent heart surgery on Friday.
The 90-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth was taken to the cardiothoracic unit at Papworth Hospital in Cambridge, England for “precautionary tests,” according to a spokesperson.
Doctors there discovered the Prince had a blocked coronary artery, prompting the surgery.
“This was treated successfully by the minimally invasive procedure of coronary stenting,” the palace said in a statement.
“Prince Philip will remain in hospital under observation for a short period.”
Before falling ill, he had been with the rest of the royal family at Sandringham, their retreat for the Christmas holiday.
He was treated for a chest infection in April 2008.
Philip and Elizabeth celebrated 64 years of marriage in November.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Tyra Banks Without Make-up: Still Think She's Hot?
- Human Barbie Discusses Her Unique Look
- 25 Old Famous Celebrity Couples We Forgot Existed
- Model's Too-Tiny Bikini Causes Wardrobe Malfunction
- Which Celebs Are Barely Recognizable Without Makeup?
- You Won't Believe What Topanga Looks Like Now
- The Real Reason Kim Won't Marry Kanye
- Celebrities With Super Attractive Siblings
- You Won't Believe Nicky Minaj's Natural Hair
- Bare Faced Celebrities Without Makeup