Prince Philip Undergoes Heart Surgery
7:11 pm, December 23rd, 2011
Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, underwent heart surgery on Friday.
The 90-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth was taken to the cardiothoracic unit at Papworth Hospital in Cambridge, England for “precautionary tests,” according to a spokesperson.
Doctors there discovered the Prince had a blocked coronary artery, prompting the surgery.
“This was treated successfully by the minimally invasive procedure of coronary stenting,” the palace said in a statement.
“Prince Philip will remain in hospital under observation for a short period.”
Before falling ill, he had been with the rest of the royal family at Sandringham, their retreat for the Christmas holiday.
He was treated for a chest infection in April 2008.
Philip and Elizabeth celebrated 64 years of marriage in November.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- What Are Celebs Saying About The Grammy Nominations?
- 30 Scientologists You'll Probably Recognize
- A$AP Rocky & His Supermodel Girlfriend Get Fancy
- 13 Most Surprising Celebrity Couples
- Kelly Rowland Addresses Engagement Rumors
- Is Eiza Gonzalez, Liam Hemsworth's Rebound Girlfriend?
- Kourtney Kardashian & Scott Disick's Crazy College Party
- Did Kendall Jenner Have Plastic Surgery?
- '90s Hairstyles We Thought Were Absolutely Cool
- Best Halloween Costumes In Hollywood