Prince Philip Undergoes Heart Surgery
7:11 pm, December 23rd, 2011
Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, underwent heart surgery on Friday.
The 90-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth was taken to the cardiothoracic unit at Papworth Hospital in Cambridge, England for “precautionary tests,” according to a spokesperson.
Doctors there discovered the Prince had a blocked coronary artery, prompting the surgery.
“This was treated successfully by the minimally invasive procedure of coronary stenting,” the palace said in a statement.
“Prince Philip will remain in hospital under observation for a short period.”
Before falling ill, he had been with the rest of the royal family at Sandringham, their retreat for the Christmas holiday.
He was treated for a chest infection in April 2008.
Philip and Elizabeth celebrated 64 years of marriage in November.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- Is Robyn Ready For Her Comeback?
- The Truth Behind Lana Del Rey's New Music
- Celebs De-Stress in Distressed Jeans
- Actors Who Refuse To Work Together
- Celebs Who Are Famous Because of Their Parents