Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead in New York Apartment
1:45 pm, February 2nd, 2014
Philip Seymour Hoffman has died.
The Oscar winner was found dead of a suspected overdose in his Manhattan apartment on Sunday, according to the New York Police Department.
He was 46.
According to police officials, Hoffman was found in the bathroom of his apartment in the West Village with a syringe in his arm.
He leaves behind three children.
Last year it was reported Hoffman spent 10 days in a drug detox treatment program for substance abuse that began with prescription pills before escalating to heroin.
The actor dealt with drug abuse problems in his early twenties but had been sober for two decades before his 2013 relapse.
Hoffman, most recently seen in The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, was revered for his film and stage work.
He won an Academy Award in 2005 for Capote, and was most recently nominated for the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for The Master in 2012.
The actor was nominated several more Oscars over the years, in addition to Golden Globes and Tony Awards.
Hoffman had reportedly completed filming the next Hunger Games film, Mockingjay Part 1, but the final installment has not yet completed production.
The movie star was at the Sundance Film Festival last month — see photo above — to promote his upcoming film, A Most Wanted Man.
Gossip Cop will have updates.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- Celebs Confess How They Honestly Felt Being Pregnant
- 10 Insanely Famous People Who are Secret Introverts
- 12 Shocking Celebrity Family Ties You Won't Believe
- 20 Hot Celebrities Who Look Busted Without Makeup
- Richard Gere Sets His Sights On A Much Younger Starlet