Peter O’Toole Announces Retirement
2:59 pm, July 10th, 2012
Peter O’Toole has announced his retirement.
The legendary actor, an eight-time Academy Award nominee, released a statement on Tuesday bidding farewell to work on the stage and screen.
He wrote, “It is time for me to chuck in the sponge. To retire from films and stage. The heart for it has gone out of me: it won’t come back.”
O’Toole continued, “My professional acting life, stage and screen, has brought me public support, emotional fulfillment and material comfort. It has brought me together with fine people, good companions with whom I’ve shared the inevitable lot of all actors: flops and hits.”
“However, it’s my belief that one should decide for oneself when it is time to end one’s stay,” added the icon, concluding, “So I bid the profession a dry-eyed and profoundly grateful farewell.”
Most famous for Lawrence of Arabia, O’Toole was one of the world’s best-regarded actors for roles in films including The Lion in Winter and My Favorite Year.
He was given an honorary Oscar in 2003 for his body of work.
A rep for O’Toole says there will be no further statements or interviews on the matter.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Exes Kate Moss & Johnny Depp Are Reuniting
- Miley Cyrus Is Apparently Barack Obama's Fault Now
- Can Shaq Fix the Sacramento Kings?
- Lady Gaga Debuts Flying Dress
- Is Adam Levine The Sexiest Man Alive?
- Which Aging Playboy Star Just Passed Away?
- What The Frock?: Horrible Celeb Fashion Fails
- Leighton Meester Is Engaged To Adam Brody
- 15 Sexy Celebrity Hairstyles To Try
- Diddy Throws A Star Studded Pool Party