California Passes Bill that Targets Reckless Paparazzi
8:31 pm, August 31st, 2010
The paparazzi situation has long been out of control.
On Tuesday, the California Assembly took action.
Legislators overwhelmingly approved a bill that will hit reckless photographers with harsh penalties including possible imprisonment.
According to the legislation, photographers who break traffic laws or interfere with the operation of a celebrity’s car can receive a maximum $5,000 fine and one year imprisonment.
After making its way through the Assembly and Senate this summer, a modified version passed Tuesday’s reconfirmation vote 43-13.
Now the state’s governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger – himself a victim of paparazzo pests — must sign the act into law.
“We feel this new law will improve public safety in general and hopefully prevent anyone else from getting hurt,” said Paparazzi Reform Initiative founder Sean Burke.
Paparazzi badgered January Jones into a minor accident, provoked Alexander Skarsgard and took invasive shots of Tori Spelling‘s toddler, among other offenses. In general, photographers indifferent to decency have far more entitled than the celebs they accuse of bad behavior.
Gossip Cop is thrilled to see California take steps toward curbing the paparazzi menace.
Tuesday is the 13th anniversary of Princess Diana‘s death in an accident blamed on swarming photographers. Hopefully, stronger legislation and harsher penalties against paparazzi will help to ensure that an often dangerous tabloid culture doesn’t claim more victims.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter for accurate celebrity news!
Check us out on Facebook!
Visit GossipCop.com for the latest!
You might like:
- Remember Lisa Turtle? Wait Til You See Her Now!
- The Real Reason Kim Won't Marry Kanye
- Can You Believe Kim Kardashian Was This Thin?
- McKellen Marrying Stewart
- Scandalous Dancing With the Stars' Hookups
- 24 Celebrities You Didn't Know Were Related
- 25 Old Famous Celebrity Couples We Forgot Existed
- Kendall Jenner Admits Being A Kardashian Ruined Her Childhood
- Tyra Banks Without Make-up: Still Think She's Hot?
- Could This Be Kim K.'s Biggest Fashion Fail Yet?