Orlando Bloom to Make Broadway Debut in Romeo and Juliet in Fall
12:15 pm, April 1st, 2013
Orlando Bloom is coming to Broadway for the first time in Romeo and Juliet this fall.
The actor will play the title role opposite Tony nominee Condola Rashad.
Director David Leveaux says he didn’t set out to cast an interracial couple, but has now casted the other roles accordingly.
“They could have been any number of different ethnicities. The two actors I wanted to be together producing sparks just happened to be those two and I followed my nose in casting the families,” he tells the New York Times.
Going along with his lead stars’ races, the Montagues will be an all-white family, while the Capulets will be black.
The play will officially open September 19, with previews beginning in late August, at the Richard Rodgers Theater in New York City.
The production marks Bloom’s Broadway debut.
What do you think of Bloom playing Romeo?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- 10 Best Celebrity Quotes About Being Pregnant
- Celebs Confess How They Honestly Felt Being Pregnant
- Kaley Cuoco Shows Off Her Tennis Skills
- Tom and Gisele Cheer on The Boston Marathon
- Drake's Weird Priority While Sitting Courtside at Game 2