Oprah Winfrey: Racist Swiss Shop Told Me I Couldn’t Afford Handbag
10:50 am, August 9th, 2013
Oprah Winfrey has gotten an apology after a Zurich shop assistant refused to show the billionaire icon a $38,000 handbag, explaining, “You will not be able to afford that.”
The TV personality was in the Swiss city last month to attend Tina Turner’s wedding when the incident occurred.
She tells “Entertainment Tonight,” “I go into a store and I say to the woman, ‘Excuse me, could I see the bag right above your head?’ and she says to me, ‘No. It’s too expensive.’”
When the clerk suggested she look at less expensive items, Winfrey departed.
“I left the store but it proves that racism is still an issue,” she says.
“We are very sorry for what happened to her, of course, because we think all of our guests and clients should be treated respectfully, in a professional way,” a spokesperson for the Swiss tourism office tells the AP.
Meanwhile, the shop owner tells the BBC that the assistant had shown Winfrey a number of other items before what she termed a “misunderstanding” over the pricey bag.
“I have to admit that the employee is Italian. Of course, she speaks English, but not as well as her mother tongue,” the owner is quoted as saying. “It was a real misunderstanding.”
What do you think about the whole incident?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Did Kim Kardashian Wax Her Babies Eyebrows?
- Celebrity Breakups: Who Called it Quits in 2013?
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Kate Bosworth's New Red Hair - Makeover or Makeunder?
- Demi Lovato Rocks The Skrillex Look
- 10 Famous Couples Who Should Never Split Up
- 9 Celebs Who Married Average Joes
- Celebrities Remember Their First Kiss