Conservative Group Demands JC Penney Fire Openly Gay Ellen DeGeneres
12:35 pm, February 2nd, 2012
One Million Moms, a project of the conservative American Family Association, is targeting JC Penney for their decision to partner with Ellen DeGeneres.
The retail giant, in the midst of an overhaul, recently announced that DeGeneres would serve as a spokesperson for the brand.
But “family values” watchdogs at OneMillionMoms.com are calling for action against JC Penney, declaring that “hiring an open homosexual” like DeGeneres is a poor business decision for a company hoping to court “traditional families.”
Calling DeGeneres “not a true representation of the type of families that shop at [JC Penney],” OneMillionMoms.com advises the store to “correct their mistake” and “not turn away potential new, conservative shoppers with the company’s new vision.”
The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) is jumping to DeGeneres’ defense, blasting OneMillionMoms.com and asking shoppers to show their support for JC Penney.
“Selecting an out performer who has inspired and entertained millions is not only a smart business practice, but a reflection of how LBGT Americans today are an integral and valued part of the fabric of our culture,” said GLAAD official Herndon Graddick in a statement.
To collect support, GLAAD has started a “Stand Up for Ellen” online petition.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Does Will Smith Think Jada's Style Is Whack?
- 6 Magazine Cover Hairstyles You Can Easily Recreate
- Child Stars Turned Child Brides
- Tom Cruise Says He Never 'Abandoned' Suri
- 9 Reasons Solange's Son Is Hollywood's Coolest Kid
- 35 Of Hollywood's Hottest Moms
- Which Celebrity Likes To Eat Crickets?
- The Jessica Alba Long Wavy Bob Tutorial
- 30 Child Actors Who Died Young
- Brad Pitt: Sexy But Smelly?