Nyle DiMarco: 5 Things To Know About ‘Dancing With The Stars’ Contestant (PHOTOS)
Nyle DiMarco made an impressive debut on Monday’s “Dancing with the Stars” season premiere. Now, Gossip Cop takes a look at five things to know about the ballroom breakout contestant. Find out more about DiMarco below.
(1) The 26-year-old, who hails from New York City, got his start on “America’s Next Top Model.” He won the 22nd and final season of the reality competition. DiMarco was the show’s only deaf contestant in the history of its run.
(2) He is the second deaf “DWTS” contestant, following in the footsteps of Marlee Matlin. Despite his hearing impairment, DiMarco and partner Peta Murgatroyd performed the cha cha and blew the judges away. Bruno Tonioli proclaimed, “You could be America’s next top dancer.” After his performance, DiMarco wrote on Instagram, “WOW. Just WOW. TONIGHT ON #DWTS WAS JUST AMAZING! I will CONTINUE TO MAKE NOISE!! #RedefiningDANCE.”
(3) DiMarco originally studied math at Gallaudet University, the only liberal arts University in the world for the deaf. He intended on teaching math to deaf children, while he was modeling on the side. He told Entertainment Weekly that “America’s Next Top Model” had discovered him on social media, and “it pretty much flipped my life around, all for the better.” DiMarco added, “Now I’m using my stardom to educate the world and invest in deaf children. Seventy percent of parents who have deaf children don’t know how to sign.” He further explained that he’s using “Dancing with the Stars” as a “platform to educate.”
(4) DiMarco is a passionate advocate for the deaf community. He is an honorary spokesman for Language Equality and Acquisition for Deaf Kids, and has worked as a creative collaborator on The ASL App, which was created by native deaf signers to teach conversational American Sign Language. On his website, DiMarco writes that being deaf “amplifies his natural talent. His deafness is an asset and not a limitation.”
(5) The model/dancer is actually a triple threat! In addition to modeling and now dancing, DiMarco also caught the acting bug. He appeared as Garret on ABC Family’s “Switched at Birth” in 2014 and 2015. See photos of Nyle Dimarco below!