UPDATE: “Nightmare on Elm Street” Slashes Competition
10:00 am, May 2nd, 2010
UPDATE – 5/2/10 -
Early projections are holding, and it looks like the A Nightmare on Elm Street reboot should scare up an easy #1 opening at the box office.
The slasher flick clawed to $15.8 million on Friday and $11.5 million on Saturday, on pace for $34 million in its first week of release.
How To Train Your Dragon will place a distant second (estimated $10.5 million), while Date Night and The Back-up Plan jostle for third (at roughly $7.3 million).
Newcomer Furry Vengeance is on pace to bomb with about $6.5 million.
***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ******
ORIGINAL POST – 4/30/10
It looks like America is ready for Freddy.
According to (very) early estimates, A Nightmare on Elm Street scared up $1.6 million from Thursday midnight screenings, ripping the previous horror record ($1 million for the Friday the 13th reboot) and setting the stage for what could be a huge weekend.
Current projections are for an overall opening in the range of $40 million.
Jackie Earle Haley has inherited the haunting Freddy Krueger role from Robert Englund, who anchored the franchise in its 1980s heyday.
The other big debut this weekend will be Brendan Fraser‘s animal romp Furry Vengeance.
Again, the Nightmare numbers are just estimates for now.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter for accurate celebrity news!
Check us out on Facebook!
Visit GossipCop.com for the latest!
You might like:
- Beyonce Accidentally Posts Pic Of Her Old Nose
- Kim Kardashian Addresses eBay Auction Donation Controversy
- Kelly Rowland Addresses Engagement Rumors
- A$AP Rocky & His Supermodel Girlfriend Get Fancy
- Kardashian Family Xmas Kards Through the Years
- Celebrities Side Business Revealed
- Is Eiza Gonzalez, Liam Hemsworth's Rebound Girlfriend?
- Leonor Varela's Edgy Hairstyle
- Where Did Jim Carrey Get His Comedic Roots?
- Did Kendall Jenner Have Plastic Surgery?