Nicki Minaj: I’m Combative Because “I Went Through A Lot Of Bullying” As A Child
4:36 pm, March 14th, 2013PHOTO
The “Super Bass” singer says it was difficult to go bare because she feels her wacky look “has become a part of me,” explaining, “To go in front of the camera, without pink lips or big ol’ crazy lashes — you know, nothing – I felt naked. It was scary!”
“So this photo shoot was a real accomplishment in my eyes,” adds Minaj.
The “American Idol” judge also opens up to the mag about being picked on as a child, revealing, “I went through a lot of bullying early on. Girls made my life a living hell.”
“We had come to America from a different country [Trinidad]. My brother and I had accents. It was very tough,” she shares.
Minaj offers, “So I’ve always put up this wall — it was a self-defense mechanism growing up — because I was almost expecting people to attack me. And I still have it. It’s sad.”
Perhaps that’s one explanation of why the rapper’s initial tiff with fellow “Idol” judge Mariah Carey elevated so quickly into a full-on feud.
The issue hits newsstands on March 26.
What do you think of Minaj’s candid interview?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- NBA Star Ray Allen Is One Lucky Man
- Does Will Smith Think Jada's Style Is Whack?
- Kendall Jenner Gets A Completely New Look
- Courtney Stodden's Risque Cleavage-Bearing Mini-Dress
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actress Adopts Her 'Direwolf'
- The Most Educated Rappers In The Game
- Michael Phelps' New Girlfriend Spills Juicy Details About Their Relationship
- 8 Aww-Inspiring Baby Photos Of Celeb Kids
- What The Frock?: Horrible Celeb Fashion Fails
- Did Beyonce & Jay-Z Chemically Process Blue Ivy's Hair?