Nelson Mandela Dead at 95
4:49 pm, December 5th, 2013
Nelson Mandela is dead.
The former President of South Africa died on Thursday.
Mandela had been in ill health for several years, and hospitalized for a number of ailments since early June.
He was 95.
Mandela spent five years — from 1994 to 1999 — as the first black South African to hold the presidential post, and is credited worldwide with ending apartheid.
His time in office came after spending 27 years in prison for allegedly conspiring to overthrow the current government, before being released in 1990.
Mandela is a recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize, awarded to him in 1993, and the Presidential Medal of Honor, the highest civillian accolade in the United States, among countless other distinctions.
Gossip Cop will have updates.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- 11 Celebrities That Have Signed Up To Go To Space
- 21 Celebrity Couples Who Met On Set
- Highlights of Joe and Teresa Giudice's Plea Deals Revealed
- Kim Kardashian: Airline Passenger Screamed Racist Obscenities at Me
- Why Reality TV Might Cost Kanye His Best Man Jay Z