Moonrise Kingdom Makes Box Office History with Record-Breaking Limited Debut
1:09 pm, May 28th, 2012
It may not be The Avengers, but Wes Anderson’s Moonrise Kingdom made box office history over Memorial Day Weekend.
The independent feature (watch trailer here) — with an ensemble including Bill Murray, Edward Norton and Bruce Willis — reportedly earned a record-breaking $130,000-per-theater average in limited release, toppling the $126,000 mark set by Dreamgirls in 2006.
If the numbers hold up, it would give Moonrise Kingdom the best-ever opening (average) for a live-action movie.
Brokeback Mountain debuted to a then-record $109,000 average in 2005, and last summer’s surprise hit Midnight in Paris opened to $99,000.
By way of comparison, box office goliath The Avengers earned roughly $48,000 per theater in its first weekend this month — but did so in more than 4,300 locations.
Men In Black 3 won the overall holiday weekend box office with a $70 million haul in multiplexes.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- The Jessica Alba Long Wavy Bob Tutorial
- Sandra Bullock Already Has Son Potty Trained
- Snag Julianne Hough's Totally Dreamy French Braided Halo
- 10 Celebrity Moms Who Practice Attachment Parenting
- John Mayer & Katy Perry's Romantic Photoshoot
- 35 Of Hollywood's Hottest Moms
- Sasha Obama's Sweater Starts Fashion Frenzy
- Kim Kardashian Shares New Photo of North West
- Lorde's Royally Cute Music Video Look
- 9 Reasons Solange's Son Is Hollywood's Coolest Kid