Miley Cyrus Explains Why She Got Gay Marriage Tattoo, Responds To Backlash
12:18 am, February 4th, 2012
Last summer, when Miley Cyrus revealed a new tattoo – an equal sign on her finger that represents her belief that “All LOVE Is Equal” – she faced a fierce backlash from the anti-gay community.
Now, in a first-person piece she penned for Glamour, the singer explains why she chose to get the ink, her reaction to the controversy it caused and why she’s pro gay-marriage.
SEE PHOTO BELOW
She writes, “When I shared a picture of my tattoo on my Twitter page and said, ‘All LOVE is equal,’ a lot of people mocked me—they said, ‘What happened to you? You used to be a Christian girl!’ And I said, ‘Well, if you were a true Christian, you would have your facts straight. Christianity is about love.’”
“The debate resulted in a lot of threats and hate mail to people who agreed and disagreed with me. At one point I had to say, ‘Dude, everyone lay off.’ Can’t people have friendly debates about sensitive topics without it turning into unnecessary threats?” she continues.
Cyrus goes on to write that she believes “every American should be allowed the same rights and civil liberties.”
“Without legalized same-sex marriage, most of the time you cannot share the same health benefits, you are not considered next of kin and you are not granted the same securities as a heterosexual couple,” she explains. “How is this different than having someone sit in the back of the bus because of their skin color?”
The singer notes that her dad Billy Ray Cyrus “is a real man’s man, lives on the farm and is as Southern and straight as they come. He loves my gay friends and even supports same-sex marriage. If my father can do it, anyone can.”
“This is America, the nation of dreams. We’re so proud of that. And yet certain people are excluded. It’s just not right,” she concludes.
What do you think of Cyrus’ comments?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- Celebs Confess How They Honestly Felt Being Pregnant
- 10 Insanely Famous People Who are Secret Introverts
- 12 Shocking Celebrity Family Ties You Won't Believe
- 20 Hot Celebrities Who Look Busted Without Makeup
- Richard Gere Sets His Sights On A Much Younger Starlet