Michael Jackson Laid to Rest in California
10:35 am, September 4th, 2009
More than two months after he died, Michael Jackson was laid to rest in the presence of family and friends last night at Forest Lawn Memorial Park.
While the King of Pop’s public memorial at Staples Center in early July drew an international television audience and tens of thousands of mourning fans, Thursday’s private service was an intimate gathering attended by some of the people who knew him best.
Longtime friend Elizabeth Taylor was among those who waited in sweltering heat as the funeral began nearly ninety minutes late. Actors Macaulay Culkin and Chris Tucker were in attendance, as were Barry Bonds, Mila Kunis, Quincy Jones, Motown Records founder Berry Gordy, and Jackson’s ex-wife, Lisa Marie Presley.
Jackson’s three children – Prince Michael, 12; Paris, 11; and Blanket, 7 – placed a crown atop his casket, and his five brothers carried it to the marble mausoleum where he was interred. Gladys Knight performed the hymn “Our Father” (The Lord’s Prayer), and the Rev. Al Sharpton gave the eulogy.
Jackson’s father, Joseph, also addressed mourners, and his mother, Katherine, appeared overcome with emotion at several moments.
The pop icon was laid to rest near Hollywood stars such Clark Gable, Jean Harlow, Red Skelton, and Carole Lombard.
You might like:
- 30 Child Actors Who Died Young
- All-Time Hottest Celebs with Facial Hair
- John Mayer & Katy Perry's Romantic Photoshoot
- Brody Jenner Probably Not Invited To Kim's Wedding?
- Drake Pulls Out All The Stops For Rihanna
- Who Said Cameron Diaz Sounded "Too Rihanna?"
- Jada Pinkett's M.O.: Rescue Willow From Hollywood!
- The Jessica Alba Long Wavy Bob Tutorial
- 10 Rapper's Crazy Cribs
- Orlando Bloom & Liv Tyler's Relationship Revealed