Michael Bay Tells Outraged Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Fans to “Chill” and “Relax”
12:40 pm, March 20th, 2012
Michael Bay has responded to outraged Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fans after his implication that an upcoming live-action reboot would turn the half-shell heroes into aliens triggered controversy.
It all began when, speaking about the project at a recent Nickelodeon Upfront event, the director-producer casually said, “These turtles are from an alien race, and they’re going to be tough, edgy, funny and completely lovable.”
The Internet promptly melted down, with fans upset about the possibility of the turtles going from earthly “mutants” to extraterrestrial beings.
Robbie Rist, a voice actor in the original movies, was particularly distressed, writing an open letter in which he accused Bay of “sodomizing” those films and cited “the rape of our childhood memories.”
Now Bay is responding to the controversy and asking for calm.
“Fans need to take a break, and chill,” writes Bay in a statement. “They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story.”
He continues, “Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world.”
Hopefully, the Great Ninja Turtles Crisis of 2012 will cool down for a bit.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
WATCH BAY’S ORIGINAL COMMENTS:
You might like:
- Kendall Jenner Gets A Completely New Look
- Usher's Girlfriend Is An Alicia Keys Lookalike!
- Drake Pulls Out All The Stops For Rihanna
- What The Frock?: Horrible Celeb Fashion Fails
- Is Adam Levine The Sexiest Man Alive?
- Are Eminem & His Ex-Wife Back Together?
- Silicone Sorrows & Botox Blues: Regrettable Celeb Surgeries
- Jennifer Lawrence's Sexy Stilettos are Affordable Too
- Jessica Simpson's Lips are Bigger and Waist is Smaller
- What Would Blair Underwood Give Up Fame For?