Metallica Kicks Volcano’s Ash
9:45 am, April 21st, 2010
Metallica boarded a bus to overcome both the volcano that’s shut down Europe and a tragic chapter in the band’s own history.
Metal gods James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett, Lars Ulrich, and Robert Trujillo embarked on a 28-hour journey over land and sea to get from Oslo, Norway to the Latvian capital of Riga after ash from last week’s Icelandic volcano eruption wreaked havoc on air travel.
It was the first time in more than two decades Metallica traveled by bus.
Bassist Cliff Burton was killed in September 1986 when the band’s bus flipped near Dorarp, Sweden.
“When we boarded the bus again this week and had to travel overnight, I realized that those bad memories are still here,” said Hammett. “I still haven’t overcome the fear of buses. But the show must go on.”
The bus took Metallica from Oslo to Stockholm, where the band boarded a ship bound for Riga, where it performed before continuing on to Vilnius, Lithuania.
Vowed Hammett, “It would take a really great force to stop us.”
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter for accurate celebrity news!
Visit GossipCop.com for the latest!
Check us out on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- 10 Best Celebrity Quotes About Being Pregnant
- Celebs Confess How They Honestly Felt Being Pregnant
- Super Geeky Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hotties
- Does Ian Somerhalder Have a New Girlfriend?
- A-List Stars Who Failed at Marriage