Melissa McCarthy Addresses Being Called “Hippo” in Nasty Review of Identity Thief
1:22 pm, June 13th, 2013
Back in February, when Melissa McCarthy starred in the hit film Identity Thief, New York Observer critic Rex Reed caused a firestorm when his review of the film focused on the actress’ weight, calling the comedic star “tractor-sized” and a “female hippo.”
Now, McCarthy herself is addressing Reed’s insults.
The actress tells the New York Times that her initial reaction had been, “Really?” and that she wondered, “Why would someone O.K. that?”
Still, McCarthy seems to have more pity for Reed than anything else.
She says, “I felt really bad for someone who is swimming in so much hate. I just thought, that’s someone who’s in a really bad spot, and I am in such a happy spot.”
McCarthy notes that had she read Reed’s comments when she was 20, she would’ve been “crushed.” These days, however, the actress is more worried about the effect of this kind of attack on “all those younger girls, that are not in a place in their life where they can say, ‘That doesn’t reflect on me.’”
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, Katy Perry Read Mean Tweets: Watch!
- What The Frock?: Horrible Celeb Fashion Fails
- Was Brittany Murphy Poisoned?
- Silicone Sorrows & Botox Blues: Regrettable Celeb Surgeries
- 10 Artists Who Stole Ideas & Never Gave Credit
- 15 Sexy Celebrity Hairstyles To Try
- Snag Julianne Hough's Totally Dreamy French Braided Halo
- A$AP Rocky Drop "Fashion Killa" Video Starring Rihanna
- 30 Child Actors Who Died Young
- Lady Gaga Debuts Flying Dress