Melissa McCarthy Addresses Being Called “Hippo” in Nasty Review of Identity Thief
1:22 pm, June 13th, 2013
Back in February, when Melissa McCarthy starred in the hit film Identity Thief, New York Observer critic Rex Reed caused a firestorm when his review of the film focused on the actress’ weight, calling the comedic star “tractor-sized” and a “female hippo.”
Now, McCarthy herself is addressing Reed’s insults.
The actress tells the New York Times that her initial reaction had been, “Really?” and that she wondered, “Why would someone O.K. that?”
Still, McCarthy seems to have more pity for Reed than anything else.
She says, “I felt really bad for someone who is swimming in so much hate. I just thought, that’s someone who’s in a really bad spot, and I am in such a happy spot.”
McCarthy notes that had she read Reed’s comments when she was 20, she would’ve been “crushed.” These days, however, the actress is more worried about the effect of this kind of attack on “all those younger girls, that are not in a place in their life where they can say, ‘That doesn’t reflect on me.’”
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- NBA Star Ray Allen Is One Lucky Man
- Does Will Smith Think Jada's Style Is Whack?
- The Most Educated Rappers In The Game
- Did Beyonce & Jay-Z Chemically Process Blue Ivy's Hair?
- Courtney Stodden's Risque Cleavage-Bearing Mini-Dress
- The Brattiest Celebrity Kids
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actress Adopts Her 'Direwolf'
- What The Frock?: Horrible Celeb Fashion Fails
- 10 Celebrity Moms Who Practice Attachment Parenting
- Renee Zellweger Looks Hardly Recognizable