Melissa McCarthy ELLE Cover Controversy: Mag Responds to Backlash Over Photo
2:07 pm, October 17th, 2013PHOTOS
Melissa McCarthy is one of the cover models for ELLE’s Women in Hollywood issue — but there’s been some backlash to her appearance.
While fellow cover models Reese Witherspoon, Shailene Woodley, and Marion Cotillard were photographed in body-baring outfits (see below), McCarthy is featured wearing an oversized coat.
A number of outlets and observers slammed ELLE for seeming to treat the full-figured actress differently.
Slate, for instance, called McCarthy the magazine’s “token plus-size cover girl,” whose coat is “so huge… she could hide her Mike and Molly co-star Billy Gardel underneath.”
“Perhaps photographer Thomas Whiteside only knows how to photograph the usual stick insect models, because he clearly has no clue how to highlight McCarthy’s curves,” charged Slate.
Now ELLE has responded to the controversy.
“On all of our shoots, our stylists work with the stars to choose pieces they feel good in, and this is no different: Melissa loved this look, and is gorgeous on our cover,” the magazine said in a statement. “We are thrilled to honor her as one of our Women in Hollywood this year.”
What do you think about McCarthy’s cover?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- The Most Educated Rappers In The Game
- Leighton Meester Is Engaged To Adam Brody
- 6 Magazine Cover Hairstyles You Can Easily Recreate
- Short Fashionistas Who Style Their Body Right
- 30 Child Actors Who Died Young
- What Would Blair Underwood Give Up Fame For?
- The Brattiest Celebrity Kids
- A Cute Daddy Daughter Moment Courtesy Of Jay Z
- 15 Sexy Celebrity Hairstyles To Try
- Idris Elba Talks Fathering A Child That Wasn't His