Melissa McCarthy ELLE Cover Controversy: Mag Responds to Backlash Over Photo
2:07 pm, October 17th, 2013PHOTOS
Melissa McCarthy is one of the cover models for ELLE’s Women in Hollywood issue — but there’s been some backlash to her appearance.
While fellow cover models Reese Witherspoon, Shailene Woodley, and Marion Cotillard were photographed in body-baring outfits (see below), McCarthy is featured wearing an oversized coat.
A number of outlets and observers slammed ELLE for seeming to treat the full-figured actress differently.
Slate, for instance, called McCarthy the magazine’s “token plus-size cover girl,” whose coat is “so huge… she could hide her Mike and Molly co-star Billy Gardel underneath.”
“Perhaps photographer Thomas Whiteside only knows how to photograph the usual stick insect models, because he clearly has no clue how to highlight McCarthy’s curves,” charged Slate.
Now ELLE has responded to the controversy.
“On all of our shoots, our stylists work with the stars to choose pieces they feel good in, and this is no different: Melissa loved this look, and is gorgeous on our cover,” the magazine said in a statement. “We are thrilled to honor her as one of our Women in Hollywood this year.”
What do you think about McCarthy’s cover?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Does Will Smith Think Jada's Style Is Whack?
- The Most Educated Rappers In The Game
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actress Adopts Her 'Direwolf'
- The Brattiest Celebrity Kids
- What The Frock?: Horrible Celeb Fashion Fails
- Courtney Stodden's Risque Cleavage-Bearing Mini-Dress
- Kendall Jenner Gets A Completely New Look
- NBA Star Ray Allen Is One Lucky Man
- 8 Aww-Inspiring Baby Photos Of Celeb Kids
- Did Beyonce & Jay-Z Chemically Process Blue Ivy's Hair?