Aussie DJs Cry Over Nurse’s Suicide in 1st Interview; Radio Show Canceled (VIDEO)
10:32 am, December 10th, 2012VIDEO
Mel Greig and Michael Christian, the two Australian deejays who pranked Kate Middleton’s hospital last week and duped a nurse into believing Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles were on the phone, are breaking their silence about the medical worker’s apparent suicide.
In their first interview since Jacintha Saldanha was found dead on Friday, the 2Day FM personalities say on Australia’s “A Current Affair” that they are devastated by the “tragic turn of events.”
“There’s not a minute that goes by that we don’t think about their family and what they must be going through,” Greig says through tears. “And the thought that we may have played a part in that is gut-wrenching.”
“Naturally, we’re shattered. We’re people too,” adds Christian.
Both disc jockeys repeatedly insist that the call had “innocent” intentions, and that no one “could have expected or foreseen what was going to happen.”
“It was just meant to be us being silly, getting hung up on,” notes Greig.
The news that Saldanha had died was “the worst phone call I’ve ever had in my life,” she says.
Christian, who, like Greig, breaks down during the interview, says their “sympathy is with the family and the friends of all those affected.”
“I’m more worried about the family, and that’s where the focus should be,” says Greig.
In the meantime, Southern Cross Austereo, which owns 2Day FM, announced on Monday that it has has canceled the duo’s radio show, and put an end to prank calls company-wide.
You can watch Greig and Christian’s full interview below.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Kendall Jenner Gets A Completely New Look
- What The Frock?: Horrible Celeb Fashion Fails
- Did Beyonce & Jay-Z Chemically Process Blue Ivy's Hair?
- The Most Educated Rappers In The Game
- 8 Aww-Inspiring Baby Photos Of Celeb Kids
- Does Will Smith Think Jada's Style Is Whack?
- 10 Celebrity Moms Who Practice Attachment Parenting
- The Brattiest Celebrity Kids
- Courtney Stodden's Risque Cleavage-Bearing Mini-Dress
- Michael Phelps' New Girlfriend Spills Juicy Details About Their Relationship