Matthew Perry Opens Up About Addictions: “I Couldn’t Stop”
1:55 pm, July 2nd, 2013
Matthew Perry opens up in the new issue of People about the years he spent abusing alcohol and prescription pills.
The actor, who says his time on “Friends” overlapped with the worst of his addiction, shares that despite the “white hot flame of fame,” those years were incredibly “lonely.”
“I had a big problem with pills and alcohol, and I couldn’t stop,” he says.
Perry remembers that he was often “painfully hungover” during filming of the hit sitcom, until “things got so bad I couldn’t hide it and everybody knew.”
The problem wasn’t being “a massive party guy.” Instead, he says he would “come home, light some candles, have a drink, watch a movie that was slightly over my head and label myself something ridiculous like a misunderstood artist.”
While he admits he used to be “a hopelessly narcissistic guy,” these days Perry is helping other addicts, having turned his Malibu mansion into a sober-living home called Perry House.
As for his plans for the future, Perry would like to start a family.
“I think I’d make a great dad and I think shortly I’d make a great husband,” he says.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- Is Robyn Ready For Her Comeback?
- The Truth Behind Lana Del Rey's New Music
- Celebs De-Stress in Distressed Jeans
- Actors Who Refuse To Work Together
- Celebs Who Are Famous Because of Their Parents