Madonna Sued For Supporting Gay Rights in Russia
10:29 am, August 19th, 2012
Madonna is being sued for $10.5 million for supporting gay rights at a recent concert in St. Petersburg.
In February, a law was passed in Russia, where there’s a strong anti-gay sentiment, that it makes it illegal to promote anything about homosexuality around minors. And according to the suit filed on Friday, a number of kids, as young as 12, were at Madonna’s August 9th performance in St. Peterburg, where she voiced her support for gays.
The singer, as well as the concert’s organizer and the venue where it was held, were named in the lawsuit filed by nine activists.
The lawyer representing the complainants responded to criticism that the plaintiffs were stuck in the Middle Ages by telling a Russian news agency, “No one is burning anyone at the stake or carrying out an Inquisition… Modern civilization requires tolerance and respect for different values.”
The lawsuit against Madonna contained video footage of her St. Petersburg performance during which she stomped on an Orthodox cross and asked audience members to raise their hands with pink armbands — that were distributed at the concert — in a sign of support for gays and lesbians.
What do you think of the lawsuit?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- The Real Reason Kim Won't Marry Kanye
- You Won't Believe What Topanga Looks Like Now
- Black Celebrities Who Have Turned White
- Chris Pine: Single and Ready to Mingle?
- 5 Celebrity Hairstyles Real Men Dig
- Is Justin Bieber Dating Kylie Jenner?
- You Won't Believe Nicky Minaj's Natural Hair
- Model's Too-Tiny Bikini Causes Wardrobe Malfunction
- Human Barbie Discusses Her Unique Look
- Tyra Banks Without Make-up: Still Think She's Hot?