Madonna To Open 10 Schools In Malawi
3:41 pm, January 30th, 2012
Madonna announced Monday that she plans to open 10 schools for underprivileged kids in Malawi.
The singer, whose original plans to bring new education centers to the country was scrapped last year after management and financial issues, has partnered with the non-profit group buildOn to finally make her dream a reality.
The project is being spearheaded by her Raising Malawi foundation.
“I am excited that with the help of buildOn, we can maintain our ongoing commitment to move forward efficiently,” Madonna said in a statement.
She added, “We now will be able to serve twice as many children as we would have served with our old approach,” with the goal being 1,000 students a year.
“I have learned a great deal over the last few years and feel confident that we can reach our goals to educate children in Malawi, especially young girls, in a much more practical way,” the pop star explained.
“Constructing smaller schools in partnership with buildOn has restored my faith that we can accomplish what we promised we would,” Madonna added.
The music icon has two adopted children from Malawi – David, 6, and Mercy, 5.
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Bring Her Ex To Premiere?
- Kanye Won't Be Happy About Drake's New Endorsement
- Double Date With Kanye West And Kim Kardashian
- Tyrese's Heartbreaking Tribute To Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela Passes Away At Age 95
- Jack McBrayer Talks Life After "30 Rock"
- Best Black Celebrity Hairstyles
- Is Lil Mama TLC's Permanent Left Eye Replacement?
- Remember Miley Cyrus' Old Image?
- Match Up!: What Pup Belongs To Which Celeb?