Lil Wayne Fired By Mountain Dew Over Emmett Till Lyrics Controversy
5:55 pm, May 3rd, 2013
Lil Wayne has been fired as a Mountain Dew spokesperson amid controversy over his crude lyrics involving Emmett Till in the song “Karate Chop.”
In a statement on Friday, PepsiCo announced that the rapper’s “offensive reference to a revered civil rights icon does not reflect the values of our brand.”
A rep for Lil Wayne attributed the parting to “creative differences.”
The controversy regards Wayne’s contribution earlier this year to Future’s track “Karate Chop,” on which he raps, “Pop a lot of pain pills / Bout to put rims on my skateboard wheels / Beat that p**sy up like Emmett Till.”
14-year-old African-American Till was infamously tortured and murdered in 1955 Mississippi after allegedly flirting with a white woman.
Back in February, Epic Records issued an apology for the lyrics and said it would try to remove the leaked, unauthorized track.
Earlier this week, Lil Wayne himself sent a letter to the Till family acknowledging the “hurt” he had caused.
His sentiments were apparently not enough to save his job.
What do you think about Mountain Dew cutting ties with Lil Wayne?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Top Celebrity Engagements and Weddings from 2013
- Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant With Her First Child!
- Pregnant Celebrities: Bump Watch 2014
- Keeping Up With Kourtney Kardashian: Is Attachment Parenting for You?
- Kendra Wilkinson-Baskett Talks Parenting and Pregnancy
- Celebs Confess How They Honestly Felt Being Pregnant
- 10 Insanely Famous People Who are Secret Introverts
- 12 Shocking Celebrity Family Ties You Won't Believe
- 20 Hot Celebrities Who Look Busted Without Makeup
- Richard Gere Sets His Sights On A Much Younger Starlet