Lil Wayne Fired By Mountain Dew Over Emmett Till Lyrics Controversy
5:55 pm, May 3rd, 2013
Lil Wayne has been fired as a Mountain Dew spokesperson amid controversy over his crude lyrics involving Emmett Till in the song “Karate Chop.”
In a statement on Friday, PepsiCo announced that the rapper’s “offensive reference to a revered civil rights icon does not reflect the values of our brand.”
A rep for Lil Wayne attributed the parting to “creative differences.”
The controversy regards Wayne’s contribution earlier this year to Future’s track “Karate Chop,” on which he raps, “Pop a lot of pain pills / Bout to put rims on my skateboard wheels / Beat that p**sy up like Emmett Till.”
14-year-old African-American Till was infamously tortured and murdered in 1955 Mississippi after allegedly flirting with a white woman.
Back in February, Epic Records issued an apology for the lyrics and said it would try to remove the leaked, unauthorized track.
Earlier this week, Lil Wayne himself sent a letter to the Till family acknowledging the “hurt” he had caused.
His sentiments were apparently not enough to save his job.
What do you think about Mountain Dew cutting ties with Lil Wayne?
Follow @GossipCop on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook!
You might like:
- Jada Pinkett's M.O.: Rescue Willow From Hollywood!
- Exes Kate Moss & Johnny Depp Are Reuniting
- A Cute Daddy Daughter Moment Courtesy Of Jay Z
- Leighton Meester Is Engaged To Adam Brody
- Reese Witherspoon's Flirty Red Carpet Waves
- A Look Back At Paul Walker's Legacy
- 30 Child Actors Who Died Young
- North West, Is That You? Khloe Kardashian Posts A Picture
- Beyonce Spoke To Blue Ivy While Giving Birth?
- What Rapper Is Father To These Sweet Siblings?