Lil Wayne Opens Up About Health Scare: “I Could’ve Died”
Lil Wayne is opening up about his recent health scare in detail for the first time, revealing not only that he’s epileptic, but “could’ve died.” Speaking on Power 106 FM in Los Angeles on Thursday night, the rapper said the “bad news” is that he suffers from epilepsy and is “prone to seizures,” like the ones that landed him in the hospital earlier this month.
“This isn’t my first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh seizure. I’ve had a bunch of seizures, ya’ll just never hear about them,” confessed Wayne. “But this time it got real bad ’cause I had three of them in a row and on the third one, my heart rate went down to like 30 percent,” he admitted, adding, “Basically, I could’ve died, so that is why it was so serious.”
Wayne said he keeps “people around me” who know how to step up when the episodes occur, explaining, “They already know how to handle it.” “Certain times I don’t even go to the hospital, but this time, it was real bad because it was three in a row, and I’ve never had three back to back like that,” said the Young Money founder.
He continued, “The third one was so bad and I live in the hills in L.A. So the reason why it was bad was that I live all the way at the top, so you know how hard it is getting down those hills [to medical facilities]. That was what was so scary about it.”
As for claims that Wayne’s medical issues stem from an addiction to codeine and drugs like sizzurp, the music star insisted that isn’t the case. “The reason being for the seizures is just plain stress, no rest, overworking myself,” he explained. “That’s just typical me though.”
Wayne also said he doesn’t harbor any ill will towards TMZ for wrongly reporting that he was on his death bed and receiving last rites. “That’s what they do. I can’t be upset at that. I get upset at my kids when they do things that I tell them not to do. I can’t be upset at TMZ for doing what they do,” he said. For now, though, Wayne said he’s “good” and “100” percent better.